Tuesday 1 October 2019

Pirate Ship Project-Third Year Starts


Pirate Ship Environment


Day 1


At the very start of my final year we have three short projects to choose from, that all has a project length of three weeks each. For my first project I chose the Pirate Ship Brief. I'm tasked to create a game environment within a small section of a Pirate Ship. There are lots of spaces to choose from large ships, however I chose to create the Lower Gun Deck from a Sloop-of-War. 

The reason behind my decision is that I wanted to get a stronger grasp on building modular kits and re-using textures in a smart way. I also feel like this is a good way to gauge my time management skills, as this is a fairly straightforward environment. Time Management skills will prove to be useful for my FMP later down the line. 

As it was the first day of the project I collected reference material, and then dissect all the elements that made the scene. 

I also collected imaged of people within the environment to get a sense of scale that I can replicate using a dummy in the scene.


Once I had some reference images I immediately started to block out the scene and bring it into unreal, I feel like the sooner I get within the engine the quicker my progression will be.

 

The floor and ceiling are going to be removed later down the line, as they are just a plane shaped into the silhouette of a sloop. This is just used to position the walls along the edge of the plane. 
After The walls are in place, I will replace the floor with a 1m² or 5m² square plane that will snap together. This is so I can have holes in the floor and ceiling for ladders and stairs.


I feel like I have a good amount of ref to help during this project, I've been able to find videos as well. The images have been sourced from Pinterest, Google Image, and Youtube.















No comments:

Post a Comment